Friday 12 November 2010

Mixed Lot

Facebook has a new tool which enables users to 'Check-in' thus revealing to the world (at least to the world of Facebook devotees) an individual's physical whereabouts.  At first I viewed this with suspicion - it does sound a little bit Big Brother - but decided to give it a go.  So, just before midday yesterday I 'Checked-in' and was pinpointed at Dragon Hall in Norwich.  Within minutes my wife posted 'What you doing there?' and I was faced with having to give an explanation.  Later in the day I 'Checked-in' at Delaney's Irish Bar (twice) and The Buck Inn - all three requiring some form of defence strategy!  I had tried to 'Check-in' at the auction, but the medieval walls of St Andrew's Hall are the best possible defence strategy against a 3G signal, making it appear that I had spent all day in the pub and done no work! 
We did work yesterday though and just when my team needed to pull the largest possible white rabbit out of an impossibly small top hat they did just that.  The day started early and with fewer lots than usual.  We also had intelligence suggesting that some of our regular buyers were away and that others had thought the sale cancelled!  The legacy of 18th October was against us, the weather dire and the omens not good.  To make matters worse my mushroom soup at Delaney's pre-sale was on a par with Knorr instant.  With little more than a single pint of 1664 to sustain me I entered The Cloisters with the distinct feeling that we were in for a rough ride.  But my team were prepared and ready, the saleroom atmosphere light and friendly, and the selling easy.  We sold and sold and sold and achieved some excellent prices (top being £3,000 for a diamond solitaire ring - some girl somewhere will be very happy).  It felt good to be back after recent events and to be back in style.  Our next sale is on the 25th November and we'll look to build on what we achieved yesterday.  I say 'we' because I know that I could not do what I do without my team.  I couldn't do it without my wife either because when I come home post-sale having celebrated with everyone in the pub (and a little worse for wear - hey, I'm entitled to a drink or three afterwards) she simply gives me a kiss and orders a takeaway curry.  Now that is a perfect day!
This morning and we await the return of The Builders.  The Builders have been a part of our lives now for some time and we live in hope that their work will soon be complete.  We have a new bathroom and mushrooms have stopped growing on Stanley's wall (having been irrigated for the past year via a hole in the roof).  Thankfully the cost, which must be enormous, does not fall to us.  It's a lovely feeling to know that we can soon finally get the house right.  The Builders have been great - they are a hardworking and friendly bunch - but we'll not miss them!
The Friday after sale-day is always my day off (I don't get many) and, as the builders are here again, I intend to go to the auction at Diss.  Some people may not consider that a day off but I guess that sums up why I do what I do.  Then it will be The Cloisters Fair tomorrow (Saturday) before another day of rest and then back to it on Monday.  Should I 'Check-in' at Diss?  "Gary is in Gaze" sounds like a pinpoint reputation I can do without...

No comments: