Monday 8 October 2012

Review of the week


Naturally, the Monday after a sale is not the most productive.  That's because putting on an auction takes a huge amount of effort.  There is an awful lot that goes on 'behind the scenes'.  The Sunday Auction was a huge success yesterday but it did not just happen by magic.

The build-up to yesterday's sale was interesting to say the least.  Take, for example, our Valuation Day in Sheringham on Saturday.  Accommodated in a condemned building (the community centre on Cromer Road - about to be pulled down to make way for a ubiquitous TESCO, apparently) with only large bluebottles for company, Jo and I were compelled to engage in small talk for most of the day.  We did see a few people but to be honest the turnout was disappointing. 
"You haven't advertised it" admonished one old boy.
"How did you hear about us then?" I asked.
"Well, I got a leaflet with my newspaper!"

Then there was the expectation to manage and if there is one thing a jobbing auctioneer despises it is the 'Miller's Guide'.  In this instance, the subject of debate was a 1941 half-crown coin.
"What would you value that at?" asked one old dear (sorry, but everyone in Sheringham is old).
"I am sorry to say, my darling, not very much" I advised.
"What would you say?"
"About £3.50"
"Oh no" she said, shaking her head at me and adopting a tone of utmost suspicion "I was told that coin is worth one hundred pounds."
Despite my assurances, she would not accept that the coin (debased silver, I might add) was worth about the price of a pint. 
"I know it is worth one hundred pounds because it is in the Miller's Guide!"
Of course it is in the Miller's Guide.  At least a half-crown dated 1820 is in the Miller's Guide (just 121 years earlier than the one under scrutiny). 
She changed tack "I was also told that this particular coin is rare because not many were made in that year."
That was much more plausible.  The knowing twinkle in her eye and repeated insistence was sufficient for me to concede that possible.  But, with my reference books back at the office (and no internet connection) I had no way of proving I was right.  So, we gave her a receipt and took it in on consignment.  Two hours later I was on the phone to her to confirm what I had actually known all along - that the coin was worth about £3.50.
"Thank you, dear" she said.
And that was that. 

Our sale at Roxley Hall yesterday was very busy.  Linda made a lot of teas and coffees.  She sold lots of sausage rolls and cakes.  Alison coped brilliantly with the queues of people waiting to pay us for the many wonderful things we sold them.  Oh, and I took a bid from a dog.  I guess most people came for the guns and the gold and the girls.  Some people come along to auctions just to enjoy the atmosphere.  We want The Sunday Auction to be an enjoyable social occasion just as much as a place to buy and sell things.

Our little team has evolved over the years.  Things have changed.  We actually are quite good these days.  Afterwards it was time to relax over a few beers and a curry.  Some things never change.

Oh, and 'Lucky Ted' (pictured).  He is our new mascot.  He's doing a great job.

No comments: