Sunday 15 August 2010

Mixed Lot

  Well, the past week has been pretty much a blur.  Last time I wrote we were 48 hours away from our monthly auction; always an exciting and hectic period.
  The sale was a huge success with revenues up 40% on last month.  This came as a little bit of a surprise as August is usually a quiet time in our trade.  I went to lunch just before the sale with one of my colleagues.  As we left the saleroom was empty and we were worried.  By the time we returned though, most of our best buyers had turned up - what a relief! 
  One of the most notable sales was LOT 180 - 1oz Kruggerand - which sold for £792 ABP.  An excellent result.  The gold soveriegns made good prices too.  The Georgian snuff box that I bought at Banham car boot sale last week sold for £90 - that was a nice surprise!  The two official WW2 German stamps made £232 ABP Now we prepare for our next sale on 9th September.  We have already taken in some super lots including a Beswick Jay and a set of Norfolk Regiment medals.
  Talking of gold sovereigns, I bought a super half-sovereign gold brooch at Hellesdon car boot sale this morning along with lots of antique jewellery and gold items.  I also bought a matching pair of beautiful oil paintings showing floral sprays contained within small ornate gilt frames.  They are late Victorian/Edwardian and were a bargain at just £6!
  We travelled on from Hellesdon to Costessey car boot sale.  There wasn't much there at all - sometimes that is just how it is.  I did buy two pigs ears for Roger though...
  One blight on the week was the loss of my Blackberry.  It was stolen on Wednesday and I was gutted as it contains not only everything I need to run my business (accounts/contacts/diary etc) but also personal photographs and videos of my family and friends :-(   I've upgraded to an iPhone 4 which is the most exciting piece of kit I have ever owned - but it's going to take me some time to put all of those contacts back into the address book...
 

No comments: