Sunday 29 August 2010

Mixed Lot

Across the county antique dealers are this morning preparing to buy or sell at one or more of the many many fairs, boot sales, and fleamarkets that typically take place on Sundays.  Actually, that's not true because most of them will have already left as I write this. 
Following two successful days selling at The Cloisters Fair this week (including a phenomenal day yesterday) I am off buying.  My preference is always to go with another dealer and today is no exception.  But I won't be picking my colleague up until 10am - hours after our rival buyers will have charged down the A11 to Banham or off to the street antique fair at Halesworth.  Technically, that puts us at a disadvantage but here is the key to successful buying: don't follow the crowd.  At any car boot sale, antique fair, or auction there are dozens of dealers all competing with each other to that special find.  Given that the average car boot sale and (to an ever increasing degree) antique fair offers little in the way of genuine antiques (let alone at a bargain prices) it seems a little optimistic to join in the scrum and expect to come back with anything worthwhile at all.  It does happen - some of you may have read about the Georgian snuff box I bought at Banham recently for £25 before selling it at our auction for £99 ABP.  But, BUT - that is unusual.
No, much better to think about it.  Sitting here drinking my morning coffee I am thinking that whilst everyone heads south today, I will head east.  I had to convince my friend that east was the way to go today but searching for antiques is just like treasure hunting and I'd rather we were looking where no one else is looking.  Yes, we are off to....lol, well that would be telling (will tell you next time).  There's no rush either because I fancy some breakfast first.
Some of you may be aware that we have been planning some big changes at Barnes Auctioneers and I hope to be announcing those changes soon.  There are some really big decisions to make, not least whether or not to stay independent.  Our bespoke, personal, and professional service is the bedrock of what we do.  We know our customers and they know and trust us: reputation is everything.  We have recently received two offers of investment/partnership and I am considering those very carefully.  Whatever we do, I can promise that any decision will be based on our core values and not just on self-interest.
Our next auction is on Thursday 9th September and we are currently inviting entries - call us on 01603 304337 or 07810 646711 to discuss how we can help you.  I will be on hand this coming Wednesday, 1st September to accept lots (as well as the 8th) - but other dates and times are available (just contact us to arrange).
Finally, make sure you come along on the 9th to buy - or just for interest.  You'll see some familiar and some new faces on the staff team - all as friendly and helpful as ever. 

No comments: