Tuesday 5 October 2010

Mixed Lot

This business is a bit like a roller coaster and, no matter how addictive the thrill of it all, there comes a time when you have to get off.  Because if you don't you will be sick.  I am a firm believer in work-life balance and the past few days have been relentless.  There has been so much going on that I don't really know where to start.  Actually, I do know where to start - yesterday at The Buck in Thorpe St Andrew where I took a pit-stop and refuelled on Stella Artois.
I've said before that the best deals are concluded in pubs and yesterday was no exception.  Not a deal this time, but an adventure.  There is nothing better than an adventure.  Once upon a time my whole life was about the next  adventure but of late it has been bogged down in politics and administration (still looking for Betty) and that's just not particularly productive.  No, I am in need of an adventure and that means charging around the countryside visiting auction houses, antique centres, and fleamarkets in search of treasure!  It's something I need to do more of because it's what I enjoy most of all.  So, a greater emphasis on adventure - and our (because adventures are best shared) next one will be Kempton Park. 
On Sunday we hosted The Great Norwich Yard Sale for the first time and it was a difficult start.  The weather forecast was for heavy rain and that resulted in many yards cancelling (although at least re-booking for our next sale on 7th November).  We saw a steady flow of people through (and even took some money) so we've made a start, albeit without the trumpets and fanfare hoped for (a big thank you to the Eastern Daily Press though for supporting us).  It felt a bit like a we planted a little seed and that it might be a while before we bear any fruit.  That said, from small acorns grow mighty oaks.  I think the concept of following a route map may need some working on...
Jewellery jewellery everywhere - that's what it seems like at the moment as we have taken in some absolutely super bling for our next auction on Thursday, 14th October.  Of course, we are always pleased to accept good quality jewellery because it attracts buyers and helps ensure for a successful sale.  One word of caution to vendors though about insurance valuations.  We have seen some ridiculous insurance valuations of late - as much as five times the actual saleable value.  This is not helpful as people arrive at our saleroom expecting to achieve at auction what they might expect to receive from their insurance company should the item go missing! In fact, the other day I was presented with an eternity ring with an insurance value of £1,800.  I advised that the ring was actually worth about £300 and the customer was unhappy.  They expected the ring to be worth close to its insurance valuation.  Not a chance, I advised.  Then I asked how much they had actually paid for the ring - £300 came the answer!  How on earth can a new replacement valuation be assessed as five times the actual retail price?!  And why on earth would reasonable people think that they can buy a ring for £300 and expect to recoup £1,800 at auction two years later?!
As an auctioneer I also caution people about online selling - particularly eBay.  The auction site is a minefield for both buying and selling and only the very experienced come through unscathed.  I have been trading on eBay (and Amazon) for years but just can't get enthusiastic about taking the photographs, writing ever more complicated descriptions, and answering stupid questions, particularly from Americans (the latest exchange being 'Can you please explain how this item would be delivered to Miami, Florida' 'Hello, thank you for your question, we would send the item via Airmail - although you can pay extra for International Signed-for delivery' 'I am sorry, I don't think I can bid on this item as I am not near an airport').  That said, there is something exciting about watching your eBay listings in the final minute as they reach their climax.  Sometimes they drop like a damp squib but sometimes, just sometimes, something wonderful happens.  Like yesterday, my postcard album was stuck on £79 with five seconds to go.  It finished on £217 - that gave me a real buzz.  I should list more on eBay today but if the truth be told, I have much more exciting things to do with my life.
It's The Cloisters Fair tomorrow and we are looking like having a full-house.  October, November, and December are good selling months in our trade and that we have dealers wanting to come in out of the cold and damp car boot fields and into the relative warmth of a medieval building is a reflection of that and not just the weather.  I have commented on the atmosphere down there of late, which has been much more lively and enjoyable.  If you haven't been to visit us for a while then do look us up.  And whilst you are in, why not pop a couple of things into our next auction?
Finally, a little bit of luck fell my way on Saturday.  I was routing around a mixed lot that I had bought at Keys Auction recently and at the bottom of the box found several items of silver-plate.  They were a bit dented and very very mucky.  On closer inspection, however, I noticed a sign that never fails me - the lion passant.  All of the bits and pieces at the bottom of the box turned out to be hallmarked silver.  A quick run round to my scrap merchant and I was £110 better off.  Not for long though, money doesn't stay in a man's wallet for long when squeezed between the Inland Revenue and a wife who needs new boots...

No comments: