Saturday 4 September 2010

Mixed Lot

"Isn't Great Massingham in North West Norfolk?" asked one of my colleagues.
And so I realised my gaffe last Sunday: we headed west, not east.
Not that it mattered as the three of us sat in The Dabbling Duck comparing notes.  One of us had picked up a Robert "Mouseman" Thompson cheeseboard and I a beautiful Georgian glass intaglio seal, amongst other things of course. 
The last time I was in the pub at Great Massingham there were several fights and I was genuinely scared.  These days, under new ownership, the pub is thriving and we were lucky to get any food at all, it was so busy.  Dealing in antiques is not just about the money; it's about the culture and mostly pub culture.  Some people don't understand that but old fashioned deals are done the right way - over a pint.
We continued our drinking in Norwich, at The Jubilee (one of the last and best traditional pubs in Norwich) where we played pool and darts (badly) before ending up at The Townhouse for a traditional Sunday carvery.  Walking home with my family (who had joined us for food) I thought just how lucky I am to do what I do.  Can there be anything more rewarding than family, food and drink, friends and treasure hunting? 
Yesterday was spent at the auction rooms in Diss where I bought very little.  We arrived back in Norwich much earlier than normal and that gave me an opportunity to catch-up on some paperwork before heading back out to meet a retired antique dealer who wanted to sell his old stock.  "I used to get £100 for a pair of brass candlesticks" he told me.  "Those days have long gone" I explained - today a pair of brass candlesticks scraps for about £2.  We live in a different world now and probably that's a good thing - I've never like brass!
Business is going to get hectic in the coming months - we have already announced details of The Great Norwich Yard Sale (see below and in the newspapers today) - and I am so grateful for the support that we receive from family, friends, and colleagues. Businesses are built on relationships and I value each and every one of those.

No comments: