Friday 24 September 2010

Mixed Lot

The morning after sale day is always welcome, if I am honest.  Hosting an auction is tough and it takes much more than you might think to get everything right.  Not that we get everything right all the time.  Sitting here with my coffee, I can have some respite from work.  There is so much to do - but not today. Henry, my three year old son, is playing with Buzz Light Year - my one and only purchase from yesterday's sale - and I am thinking about the prospect of a full English breakfast.
We don't get everything right but I have to say a BIG thank you to my people yesterday.  Our business will only thrive if the people that work within it are right - and yesterday convinced me that each and every one of my team are bang on it. That gives me confidence for the future.
Of course, yesterday was the first time we had held an auction on the fourth Thursday of the month.  That our regular customers supported us was much appreciated.  It felt good yesterday.  It felt right.  It felt like we took another step forward.  Best result?  Well, £220 for the Merrythought Alsation Puppy (LOT 22) was a shock.  The 1950's Rolex watch (LOT 200) sold for £650 and the Victorian diamond and cat's eye ring (LOT 100) made £320.
Our next sale is on the 14th October.  That may seem like a little while away but it will soon come round.  In the meantime we have the Great Norwich Yard Sale on Sunday, 3rd October - do contact us for details about that.  Oh, and The Cloisters Fair this Saturday and next Wednesday.
On Monday I will take the train down to London to meet a couple of dealers I know - I am hoping they will hoover-up a couple of the unsold lots from yesterday - and on Tuesday I will be driving down to Brighton where I hope to buy well.  I was down there recently (and in Lewes) and was surprised at just how much quality there is down there - and at reasonable prices.  I need to buy well - most of my stock has been sold!
Back to Henry and his excitement about receiving Buzz Light Year reminds me of my childhood - and of all the toys I played with and damaged in the process.  We offered a lot of DINKY toys yesterday - all played with miltary vehicles just like those that littered my childhood bedroom floor.  They reached £170 but that would have been £1,700 if they were all boxed and mint.  Today's toys are tomorrow's treasures.  It's probably a bit late for Buzz but then he is an Intergalatic hero, isn't he Henry?

No comments: